Monday, January 31, 2011

Wahala

OK, so last Sunday Christine sends me a text that says
"what are you doing next weekend? want to go up to our cabin?"
Well, you know my answer... HECK YES!
So as the week got progressively crappier, this idea of going to this cabin in the woods, away from everything for a weekend away kept sounding better and better.
So Friday, aka the day from hell, came around and although nothing was working out my way and I was having a rotten couple hours, I was super excited for the weekend.

Here's the fun part, it was Christine and Rex, and then me and Rex's friend Jake.
Who for some reason I was convinced was married.
Surprise, when I get to Christine's apartment, like 3 minutes before Jake shows up, Christine looks at me and says "Oh PS: Jake is single and a Christian."
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Now the ENTIRE weekend is going to be an awkward double date. Don't get me wrong, he's super nice and I don't doubt Christine's taste, but honestly? A double date... when I'm going to be dirty smelly and could care less about my looks? Awesome.
Plus, as Christine usually does, she made it really awkward and uncomfortable and CONSTANTLY asked me if I was in love.
Yes Christine, I met him 24 hours ago, we're in love and we're getting married tomorrow, how did you know...
So, anyhow, jumping back to the story, we packed up the car, and by we I mean the men packed the car and Christine and I ate. Solid.
So we were on our way...
3 hours, 1 awesome round of the Extreme Alphabet game and a quick nap later we were almost at the cabin.
So although this cabin was like 30 minutes from Ludington, the cabin was actually in a tiny town called Wahala, which led to all of us saying it with interesting accents. Anyhow, the cabin was on A road, nope that's not me being funny, the road was called A road.. it had no address, oh boy.
So we get on the road and we ware driving along, PS: it is GORGEOUS out there, and we see this man on a snow plow, you know plowing the road at 9 pm. no big.
So we stopped and he walked up, we told him where we were heading and he said, "If you need me to plow you out just give me a call..." A call? on the phone neither one of us have? When we don't know your name and you don't know ours? OK, sure.
Noticing this flawed plan, Jake, while the window was still open and plow man was still in ear-shot, says "Do you want us just to yell? or..."
We all laughed then pretended to call the plow man using "DUUUUDDDE!" or "plow man!" or "Holler at ya boy," which was my favorite.
So we get to the driveway and we're trucking on down, then we see the hill in the driveway and decide not to drive down it because the chances of getting back out in the 2 feet of snow were poor. So the four of us truck to the cabin, Rex gets the key and we head in to the cabin.
OH MAN!
Rex married rich!
This is a beautiful cabin, seriously it looks like it was carved from the trees.
And it has heat, and electricity and 3 bedrooms. Rex and Christine got the couple room. Jake got the bunk-bed room and I got the awesome loft room!
So Rex and Christine go to get the snowmobile running so they can get up the hill and get our stuff. Meanwhile Jake and I start the fire.
So the fire was started but the snowmobile wasn't, so Christine and Rex walked up the hill with sleds to get our stuff, Jake was up for round 2 and I was up for round 3, which never happened... Alleluia!
So then Rex, Jake and I executed our birthday plan... it is Christine's birthday on Wednesday.
Rex brought a cake, I brought the streamers, balloons and birthday sign and Jake brought enthusiasm.
I'm calling it operation Birthday Supreme.
Rex asked Christine to help him outside, Jake and I went to work.
2 minutes, 8 balloons, one sign and wood covered in streamers later Christine walks in and is completely surprised and impressed at our quick set up skills!
PS: It was a joint party because Jake's birthday is on the 1st and Christine's is on the 2nd.
So Happy Birthday to you both!
So the rest of the night was uneventful, some jokes and interesting conversation.
The next day was the best day of my life. Seriously.
We lounged around all day.
It was epic.
In the afternoon Christine and I went outside to play in the snow and go sledding... We played icicle baseball and wrote in the snow with our snow pencils... then we decided to go sledding so I grabbed the red sled, Delilah, and Christine grabbed the blue one, Blue Streak.
After the first run, aka us pushing ourselves all the way down the hill, we had a legit track.
We began to race and commentate each other. Christine claims she won, however, she did not. She did however crash into me... cheater.
But then we laid in the snow, where I was asked if I was going to marry Jake... as you know we are getting married tomorrow... so to avoid the conversation I started a snowball fight.
The jerk got me in the face with piles of snow like 18 times.
After we were COVERED in snow, we called it quits.
After coming inside and getting ready to go out, we left to head to Ludington for dinner.
We first went to Lake Michigan, which is SO PRETTY!
That is just so cool! the waves froze on the beach and we could walk on them! Awesome!
Also, Christine, earlier in the weekend, decided that we would all start to major in piracy, being pirates.
Rex, who has been growing a beard is self conscious about the color of his beard had been the butt of our jokes all weekend... so Jake knowing he would walk into it says, oh man we should all have pirate names, Rex walking right into it says YES!! So Jake says You are Captain Red Beard.. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Awesome.
So then we went to House of Flavors for dinner and her is where the awkward level peeked.
First the waitress walked up and Jake demanded a pirate name, she looked at us like we were on fire then said she would get back to him.
Then, while we were ordering, Jake and I split a dinner, Christine says to the waitress about us.."Don't they make a cute couple?"
We all freeze and beg her not to answer that...
Christine really?
So after our meal, complete with cole slaw and toast we ate our FREE ice cream and headed to the good will
PS: That was awesome... some winners there. Including, Disney pants.
Then we headed back.
The next day we cleaned and headed home, where Christine canoed to the highway... no joke she paddled to the highway, then let the river, aka the highway, take us the rest of the way.
All in all a solid trip and fantastic weekend.

A couple of things I've learned this weekend:
-I am gullible
-The boys convinced my there was a bat in my room, I was afraid of it for 3 hours
-I say the word awkward weird
-I say awkward with a Michigan accent, like AHHHHkward
-Christine will do ANYTHING to set me up on a date, even an awkward double date.


So great weekend, I want to go back, honestly I could live there..

Until then...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....BEST. BLOG. EVER.

    "She looked at us like we were on fire..." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad I couldn't come with you guys :( It sounds like so much fun!! Love the plow dude!!

    ReplyDelete